Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 3

More Feederbrook Fun

I went to visit "Lisa and the Sheep" (Lisa's usual email signature) at Feederbrook Farm last week. I had the most awesome time.

Lisa showed me her fiber studio. Buford, the basset hound, greeted me like a long lost pal. He has a soft coat and sweet voice. He howled every time I stopped petting him. The trio of peacocks were hanging out on and around the farm tractor in the shed.

In the fenced barnyard, the sheep had spread out a thick layer of hay. They are messy eaters! Inside the barn there were two ewes close to giving birth. Maggie, my little ewe lamb, ran into the barn and was eagerly thrusting her head through a stall partition in anticipation of getting some animal crackers. Three angora goat babies were in the barn also, under the red light of a heat lamp. They are very cute and have curly hair. Lisa let me help bottle feed them. The regal face of one of the llamas peered at me over the partition and a handsome rooster posed from the top of a wooden beam.

We went back out into the barn yard and Lisa said, "Watch this!". She then added a new bale of hay to the feeder and the sheep acted like they had won the lottery! They rushed over and eagerly attacked this amazing prize with gastronomic gusto. As Lisa expected, it didn't take long for one of the girls to climb on top. Later, when I looked over the photos, I could see all of the sheep leaning toward Lisa with their noses in the air. Their expressions of interested anticipation of the hay were unmistakable!

Not only Maggie, but also little brown Clarisse, and black-faced Wonder Woman surrounded me with expectations of a treat or a pat. I think Clarisse would have been happy to have one of my coat buttons; she enthusiastically tasted all of the ones she could reach!

Lisa pointed out the sheep that were happily nibbling the clean, white snow leftover from the recent blizzard. The girls enjoyed the snow so much that they had been ignoring the large bucket of fresh water supplemented with molasses "anti-freeze".

You can see photos from my adventure here on my Flickr site.

No comments:

Post a Comment