Search This Blog

Monday, March 22

Yarn Party & Lambing at Feederbrook

The Yarn Party was a blast! It was very well attended and I got some great stuff! I met some great people. I met a wonderful woman at Lisa's booth who let me try her English wool combs and diz to make roving from washed fleece. So cool! She bought one of Lisa's lambs who is a Shetland/BLF/Wenslydale cross and has deposits on 3 more Finn Sheep lambs from another breeder. She also has rabbits, dogs, cats and chickens on her farm in PA. Her farm is not too far from my brother's place in New Freedom.

Lisa had some awesome yarns for sale at her booth. All of her yarn is tagged with a photo of the sheep it came from along with a short description of the sheep's personality. So fun! Lisa even has some yarn from Maggie's first shearing! Just like Baby's First Haircut! Hooray!

This past week's Fiber Project meeting was about Lambing. Just before we arrived, a lamb was born. I got to hold it while Lisa applied Iodine to the umbilical cord!

We also got to see Lisa give inoculations and apply ear tags to two twin lambs. The lambs protested, but only a little. They are tough and enjoyed a lot of cuddling and petting. We all got to hold them. When we let them back into the pen they ran over to mom and it was so funny to see their little greeting. It looked a little bit like mom was counting them. There are about twenty lambs now and lambing season is about half over.

I took lots of photos and I hope to have them posted this week. I also got lots of photos of the bison on a nearby farm.

This week, Lisa will be shearing the rams. She is concerned that they will not recognize each other after-wards and there will be fighting. Sheep are very visual.

No comments:

Post a Comment